Making sure everyone gets the skills they need to live a fulfilled, dignified life.
Over the past five years we have supported almost 3,500,000 children to access the quality education they deserve.
Improving health services for all and empowering the most marginalised to exercise their right to quality care.
Over the past five years we have helped over 3,600,000 people access better healthcare.
Four volunteer researchers worked in four countries (the Philippines, Kenya, Nepal and Mozambique) used participatory action methods to determine the unique value of volunteering in international development.
Most previous studies focussed on the effect volunteering has on the volunteers themselves, there has been little documentation of the impact volunteering creates.
VSO has always believed that people are the best agents of change, and this research now provides evidence for volunteers’ unique contribution to reducing poverty.
Our strategy, People First, sets out how we will increase our impact against marginalisation and poverty:
- Extend and deepen our impact through our programmes
- Mobilise global citizens to support the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Position volunteering as a powerful contribution to delivery of the SDGs
- Education and care for refugee children in Bangladesh. Read more...Growing Together in Bangladesh. Read more...Youth volunteering for improved livelihoods and healthImproving youth employmentSupporting female crab farmers . Read more...
- Strengthening education managementImproving English language learningICS youth volunteering for improved education and livelihoods in RatankiriBoosting incomes from fishing and livestockEmpowering young entrepreneursImproving child nutrition in Mondulkiri
- Improved education qualityTackling critical capacity gaps in basic educationUnlocking Talent Through Technology . Read more...Equipment and skills to reduce newborn deaths . Read more...
- Improving education for girls and children with disabilities. Read more...Youth volunteering for improved education and livelihoodsIncreasing profits for cocoa farmers. Read more...
- Inclusive education for girls and children with disabilities
- Unlocking Talent Through Technology . Read more...Solar Mama rural electrification project. Read more...
- Levelling the playing field for girls through vocational and life skillsPhoning out of Poverty and AIDS. Read more...
- Supporting women's organisations fighting gender-based violence
- Youth volunteering for improved education, health and livelihoods in LamjungSisters for Sisters Nepal . Read more...Child-centred primary teaching for better literacy and numeracy in remote Jumla and Jajarkot . Read more...Preventing violence against women in migrant families. Read more...Helping prepare for natural disasters. Read more...
- Strengthening education managementYouth volunteering for improved education, health and livelihoods in KwaraNational volunteering to boost education standardsBoosting achievement through mobile science and maths labs
- Strengthening policing to combat gender-based violence
- Supporting teacher training
- Addressing poverty and conflict in Mindanao
- Improving primary literacy and numeracy skillsIntroducing effective early childhood education
- Supporting sexual health and rights for women and girlsDoctors for development
- Box libraries to boost literacy in KageraYouth volunteering for improved education and livelihoodsTeacher training for better primary and secondary education in Tabora, Dodoma and LindiImproving primary education in KageraPreventing maternal and neonatal deaths in Kigoma regionImproving education and parental income in KageraBoosting agricultural income and market links in Zanzibar. Read more...Building an enabling environment for young and woman entrepreneursBoosting youth employment through vocational training in Mtwara. Read more...
- Volunteering for development
- Inclusive educationReducing maternal and newborn deathSupporting youth employment
- Better access to knowledge and services for improved youth sexual and reproductive healthYouth volunteering for improved health. Read more...Advocating for land rights . Read more...
- Youth volunteering for improved healthSupporting women's rights, health and financial independence