19 ways volunteering overseas will change you
Volunteering overseas is one of the most rewarding things you can do. It will change the way you see the world. Here are just a few ways it can leave its mark…
1. You may find you have skills you never knew you had.
2. You will build your confidence.
3. You realise that progress is only possible by working together.
4. You will become more patient. More laid back. Being "on time" may become more subjective.
5. You will eat some of the most incredible food - but never be able to re-create it.
6. You may try some food that you will never wish to recreate!
7. You will realise there is a whole new level of exhaustion. Both physically...
8. …and mentally.
9. You care less about the labels on your clothes and care more about who made them and under what conditions.
10. ...In fact, you will probably care less about your personal appearance entirely. You'll also care less about what people think.
11. What you do, opposed to what you earn, may become more important to you.
12. You may become a very adept motorcyclist, and even develop a life-long interest.
13. ...and you may reconsider just what a motorbike can be used for.
14. You may find you regularly start up conversations with strangers on public transport.
15. You get used to going to bed and getting up with the sun.
16. ...Especially when you wake up to views like this:
17. You will make life-long friends.
18. Your home may not feel like ‘home’ any more.
19. You'll spend a lot of time convincing others to volunteer.